Yin & Yang

Yin & Yang
Collage on canvas

Dance

Dance
collage on canvas

Saturday, March 8, 2008

It's been a few days...

Hi Everyone,

I guess a lot of people update their blogs everyday, but I don't think I will be able to keep up with that pace. Lets see, the first and last time I wrote, I think I was telling you a little about myself. So, I will continue down that road...other than being a wife and my great love of creating artwork, I am also waiting for a liver transplant. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago with a very rare liver disease called Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Since that time I have had 11 surgeries and countless hospital stays. I was also diagnosed with Crohns which I think originally caused me more problems in the beginning than my liver disease. But about a year and a half ago my liver went into failure and I am now in end stage liver failure and waiting for a liver transplant.

Over the years I have learned so much on so many different levels. One of my main goals is to help bring change to our Health Care System (incorrectly named, if you ask me). I have seen it from many different sides, I have had health insurance and not had coverage. Currently I am covered by 2 health insurance companies, which you would think would cover me the best, but I have run into so many problems....I was almost a part of Michael Moore's movie "Sicko" which I highly recommend everyone sees. I believe what chronically and critically ill people have to go through (dealing with health insurance companies) actually adds to our illness and suffering.

I have not been able to very much with this dream of mine, since I have been sick but, it is one of my goals that I continue to work on (only on a much smaller level). I do not want other people to have to go through what I am going through right now. The amount of red tape that I have to deal with on a weekly basis is just stupid. I cannot tell you how many times, someone sitting behind a desk (who has never met me or seen what I have gone through) has made the decision whether or not I get the care my doctor has recommended for me. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to send in appeal after appeal, just to get a test done that my doctor needs for me. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to have my doctors send in extra letters or make calls (to argue with the doctors hired by the insurance companies) just to get my medication. I don't know how my story will help to change things, I only know it will, so I continue to do the small things (vote, write my Congress Reps. and Senate Reps.) next my story goes to the Insurance Commissioner of CA. Once I am stronger, my voice will be stronger and I will do more to help bring about change.

Next time I write I will tell about my wonderful support system...my husband, my family, my friends, my community and people I don't even know around the world who are keeping me in their prayers.

Love & Light,
Stacey

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm so glad that you're sharing your story and your art this way.

I love blowing bubbles, stace...
it makes me smile to see the bubbles coming out of the top of the canvas...

Good work, Lady... all of it.

xoxo
jul

My mind is sometimes overwhelming

My mind is sometimes overwhelming
collage on canvas